Bali is known for its vibrant and diverse culinary scene, offering a range of dishes that showcase the flavors and ingredients of Indonesian cuisine. Here are some of the best foods to try when visiting Bali:
- Nasi Goreng: This is Indonesia’s national dish, and it’s a must-try when in Bali. Nasi Goreng is a fried rice dish that is cooked with vegetables, meat, or seafood and topped with a fried egg.
- Sate: Sate is a popular street food in Bali and can be found in many restaurants and food stalls. It consists of skewered meat (chicken, beef, or pork) that is grilled over charcoal and served with a peanut sauce.
- Lawar: Lawar is a traditional Balinese dish that is made from minced meat, vegetables, coconut, and spices. It is typically served as a side dish with rice.
- Babi Guling: Babi Guling is a Balinese roast pork dish that is marinated in a mixture of spices, including turmeric, coriander, and lemongrass. The meat is then roasted over an open flame and served with rice and vegetables.
- Gado-Gado: Gado-Gado is a popular Indonesian salad that consists of boiled vegetables (such as spinach, bean sprouts, and cabbage) that are mixed with a peanut sauce and topped with crispy tofu and tempeh.
- Soto Ayam: Soto Ayam is a chicken soup that is flavored with lemongrass, turmeric, and other spices. It is typically served with rice and garnished with fried shallots and fresh herbs.
- Bebek Betutu: Bebek Betutu is a Balinese dish that consists of a whole duck that is marinated in a spice paste made from turmeric, coriander, ginger, and other spices. The duck is then wrapped in banana leaves and slow-cooked over charcoal.
In conclusion, Bali has a rich and diverse culinary scene, and there are many delicious dishes to try when visiting the island. From traditional Balinese dishes to street food favorites, there is something for every taste and budget.